Friday, October 5, 2007

September 20 San Francisco

Amazing food that my sister Cyn cooked for me in Oakland, California

*******

Lavender Sea Salt Crusted Halibut, plank grilled and cooked to perfect succulence with corn pudding (ala her wife, Barb).

*******
(stuff I cooked! SO nice to have a kitchen to cook in)
Italian Artichokes (our mom’s recipe) stuffed with stuffing (imagine that?!) stuffed with diced red peppers, parsley and garlic.

Thai Red Japanese Winter Squash soup, Coconut milk. There you have my secret! Also with ginger blossoms (my sister, out at the S.F. Farmer’s Market finally admitted to her addiction: acquiring weird food at Farmer’s Markets. “It’s worse than CRACK!”

*******
(Last night’s “John’s Going Away Meal)
Appetizer: Grilled fancy peppers, salty and sweet (my favorite)

Main Course:
Super thin, fancy Japanese Noodles in broth, over super fresh and yummy Farmer’s Market tofu, garnished with cilantro sprouts (!!!), and roasted baby summer squash.

On the side:
Paper-thin sliced Cucumber Salad with Avocado (made from bizarro knarly looking cuke- again one of my sister’s Farmer’s Market finds)

********

TWO AMAZING BOOKS I READ THIS WEEK:

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (a graphic book) about a woman who comes to terms with her father dying as she comes to terms with her sexuality.

Dry. memoir by Augustine Burroughs (also wrote Running With Scissors)Augustine's battle with alcoholism is hilarious and devistating, inspiring and shallow (which is the word he uses most to discribe himself). �

No comments: