Friday, October 5, 2007

Rochester June 28th


Arrived in Rochester a couple of days ago to visit my dearest Aunt Nancy. I think I may die of malnutrition. I know I write a lot about the food as I go, but what else IS there really. In between shows I set up more show and more publicity and inbetween that I seek sustenance. AND being away from the big city where Restaurants and Grocery Corner Stores abound, and being stuck in suburban nowheresville, it’s been a strange culinary journey. I decided that due to my low blood sugar problems on the Road, I require within easy reach at least cereal and soymilk; peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Driving down the road my eyes caught the Aldi logo in the strip mall…a sign that I had seen during late night TV gluttony the night before on a Food Channel. They had done a spot about this store that cut costs along every step of the way so that the food was cheap, including the shopping carts taking a quarter deposit each time you used them. Well. The food Was cheap. And Sam’s club bountiful. My favorite part was the special Active and Lean brand soymilk (and canned peaches and frozen pocket sandwiches). Of course I was drawn to these foods as they were…well…food. And to look at me, well, I sure am Active and Lean. But to call it this seems so…insulting. As if, by implication, the other food should be called “Slothy and Fat.”


What a food snob I have become. Not everywhere is it possible to get organic, whole foods…though it IS possible in Alaska. Within walking distance of a lot of peoples’ homes. We’re spoiled.
I ought to seek out some farmer’s markets…it IS the fingerlakes region.


My Aunt Nancy is doing okay. Just Okay. She thinks, of course, that she is totally forgetful, whereas she is simply regular people forgetful now…which must be hard for a sharp, sharp woman like her. Gosh, I love this woman…almost more than anything else in the world.
And today’s her birthday. I’m going to go over there now and give her a hug and card that when she opens it will play “The Age of Aquarius” and probably scare her big time. Fun.

Well. Till next time. Oh and Call Me. I love getting calls. 907.957.2776�

No comments: