Friday, October 5, 2007

The Big Stink

Toronto. The breakfasts are Alright, the pavement and stench are overbearing: but there’s tons of Clown. (incidently, Montreal is called the Big Sky, while Toronto is the Big Stink- just perfect for Clown Eh?). The Toronto Festival of Clowns (I was just a spectator):
Two Really good shows:
1. Hanging with Jesus: Forty Minutes on the Wood. Fun F-ing Tastic. Wholly Wholly Wholly. They could have gone a little deeper, into the Realness of being crucified in the shadow of Jesus Christ, but they managed to make a Clown show out of it. I Loved the moment when one of them gets helium filled ballons (he had wanted a Sign like Jesus had, but oh-well) It’s just my bent to want Deeper Deeper.
2. Bubkis —Awesome. I will make a show like this one day. All he had was a sheet, a toothbrush, a water bottle and a pillow….and he managed to create a world and a story and a raport with his audience in ways that astonished me. Still…Deeper. I want deeper. I’ve got a lot of work to do on my show.
Another Really Bad one.
I won’t name it. But at least it wasn’t my show. But I still have a lot of work to do on my show.
Which brings me to going back to Stinky Toronto in the end of July:
To have my show worked on by some fun Clowns (Miss Becky and Adam Lazarus the producer of the Toronto Clown Theatre Festival. AND take a workshop in Play with a woman from Complicite (basically, the more intense European Clowning).
AND I met this guy who knows this woman with a Clown/Dog act that she’s been doing for 9 years. And it sounds like she might be able to give me some advice. SO COOL!
I’m psyched. I get to go deeper.

No comments: